Thursday 5 March 2009

Homestay in Stirling (and everything you ever wanted to know about William Wallace)






Hi everyone, 
    I hope you are all doing well. Now that it is March and I have been informed that I am seriously slacking on my daughterly, familiar and friendly duties I will make an attempt to blog with some frequency. 
     I just got back from my homestay weekend in Stirling, aka the Gateway to the Highlands. It was a complete and total blast. I went with another girl named Marissa and we stayed with a local couple who regularly take in students for homestay weekends. 
   On Saturday we went to the castle as well as the William Wallace monument. For those of you who were not aware, Sitrling is the place of two of the most important battle for Scottish Independence, the Battle of Bannockburn and the battle of Stirling bridge. We got to see William Wallace's actual sword which is crazy because it is huge, almost my height. Although it was so funny to note that despite the talk of nationalism and Scottish Independence at both the Monument and the Castle, it was only the British flag that flew over the castle, and not the Saltire, which is the Scottish flag. 
    We went to a local pub on Saturday night, which was a truly unique experience. It was clearly not meant for a younger crowd like us and a group of American students amongst a few dozen locals in their thirties and older stuck out like a sore thumb. It was amazing though. There was a ridiculous singer, who was singing to a backup track, everything from Chasing Cars to (my personal favorite) when he busted out 500 miles by the Proclaimers. It was at that moment when I think I had my first real Scottish moment. St. Andrews has a lot of American students and because it is a college town it is not the "real Scottish experience". But when the man started singing 500 miles, these 4 women pulled our group up to the middle of the dance floor so we could all dance along to this song. It was EPIC! 

I will blog again soon. I love you all.
Steffi

PS Just to set the record straight, yes that it me wearing a bonnet at the Smith Museum in Stirling, I think I look quite fetching. 

2 comments:

  1. Awesome blog nini, you are really a hilarious writer. I really enjoyed the first entry about dinner being a mystery! And scots getting into a dizzy over snow!

    Keep this blog coming! I was cracking up the whole time!

    Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steffi,

    Your pictures are beautiful! I'm so glad that you're safe and having fun. I am an obsessive blog reader, so I'm glad I can read yours and keep up with your adventures :).
    Hope you're doing well!

    -Julie

    ReplyDelete